If you are looking for the most versatile game that can be enjoyed by people of different ages and on different occasions, then bingo is the one. We will talk about when and who invented bingo, how to play bingo, and also how to make a bingo game that is customized to your personal needs and preferences.
- When Was Bingo Invented: The Story Behind the Game
- How to Play Bingo: The Classic Game and How to Make It
- How to Make a Bingo Game for Any Occasion
- FAQs: How Does Bingo Work?
When Was Bingo Invented: The Story Behind the Game
When was bingo invented? It is believed that the game appeared in Italy about 5 centuries ago. This is when the first rules of how to play bingo game were developed. Obviously, they have changed over the course of time and transformed into the game we all know and love. The French and the British were the first after the Italians to play it, creating something that most of us will be able to recognize as the modern game of bingo.
Americans had the final say in this, creating the name for the game and finalizing the rules and the appearance of the cards in the first half of the 20th century. Since then, the game has been a favorite among Americans. To this day, there are places where you can play the game with your friends; bingo charity events are organized as well. You can even find various places (online) where to buy bingo bags to tote your favorite bingo daubers (special markers used to cover the numbers as you play).
How to Play Bingo: The Classic Game and How to Make It
How does bingo work? Here is a quick explanation.
- Players have special cards with letters B-I-N-G-O and a 5×5 grid with numbers and an empty center.
- A caller draws a ball with a letter and a number.
- Players mark the number in the column that starts with the letter.
- When the line of 5 numbers is completed, the player shouts “Bingo!”, and this is how to win bingo.
The cards in the game are usually reusable as the players simply cover the cells with chips. If, however, you lost or spoiled them, you don’t have to search where to buy bingo cards since everyone can simply make or print them at home. This can be easily done with the help of MS Excel or any other similar program.
All you need is insert the =RANDBETWEEN(1,75) function (with 75 showing how many numbers in bingo are used altogether) into each cell in the 5×5 grid except for the middle one. Add the B-I-N-G-O letters in the top row, and with just a few clicks of a mouse, you will get a table that looks like a classic bingo card (you may need to refresh it a few times to make sure there are no doubles under one letter).
If you don’t have special balls, simply make slips of paper with the letters and numbers and draw them instead.
How to Make a Bingo Game for Any Occasion
If you are tired of the classic game and want to try something new for a family night, learn how to make bingo cards in all the possible ways.
- Use pictures. This is a great way to involve kids in the game. You can spend some time and do it all by hand or find a website that can create custom bingo cards like this.
- Use words. These can be any words you want. If you are planning this game for a special occasion, like your grandma’s birthday, choose some words (or even dates) that will remind of important milestones in her life. Also, prepare a set of questions to go with these. As you play, ask the questions and let everyone look for the correct answer.
- Use situations. This will be great for watching a sports event (if you are not really into sports, bingo can make it a little more fun), a series, or someone’s wedding movie. If you are organizing the event, think of the most stereotypical situations that can happen, insert them in the grid, and enjoy the fun!
Just be creative and you are bound to come up with a fun bingo game idea.